Thursday, January 4, 2007

Schools must show they can handle their funds.

As a school trustee, I feel my first responsibility to the students -- and their parents -- to make sure they are getting the best education possible. But I also feel I have an equally important responsibility to the taxpayers to make sure they are getting the best value possible.

I'm sure all in the education community would agree with my first statement. Sadly, though, many -- including many school board members -- do not feel the second responsbility is as important. To them, money is the only answer.

I expand on these thoughts in this opinion piece:

Lansing State Journal: Schools must show they can handle their funds (07/10/05)

This was the beginning of battle over Proposal 5, which appeared on the November 2006 ballot.

==> Mike.

No comments: